Monday, 7 March 2016

Author Interview With P. D. Workman



http://www.amazon.com/Michelle-Between-Cracks-Book-3-ebook/dp/B01AOU7VDY/re
Michelle
Between the Cracks #3
by
P. D. Workman

Tell us a little about yourself

I am in Calgary, Alberta and I have been writing novels since I was twelve. I started publishing just a couple of years ago, and am greatly enjoying this new journey.

What genre do you write in?

I write riveting young adult/suspense fiction about mental illness, addiction, and abuse

Tell us about your latest book

My most recently published book is Michelle, book #3 of the Between the Cracks series.

When Michelle asked to be taken away from her abusive mother, she never expected to lose everyone she loved in the process. They said they would keep her and Kenny together. Her daddy said he would be back. And she never even got to say good-bye to Marcie.

All too soon, they were trying to reunite her with her mother, and Michelle is forced to take to the streets, seeking safety in the gang life.

—Something about [P.D. Workman’s] writing just blows my mind... I hate when I get too tired to read anymore and I have to wait until the next day.

—It's a heart-breaking story.

—The Between the Cracks books have been absolutely AMAZING… as soon as I started to read "Ruby", I just had to keep going.

When did you first know you wanted to be writer?

I have been writing for as long as I can remember. Before I could even read or form letters, I used to scribble little books made of stapled together construction paper. I made several attempts at writing a novel before I finished my first one, and since then… I haven’t stopped.

Are there any books or writers who have particularly influenced or inspired you as a writer?

My two biggest influencers in YA fiction are probably S.E. Hinton and Jay Bennett. I watched The Outsiders movie before I read the book, and it was gut-wrenching and reached right down inside of me.

What is your proudest moment as a writer so far?

A year ago, Ruby Between the Cracks won the Top Ten Best Books for Teens, a literary award put out by the In the Margins Book Award and Selection Committee under the umbrella of Library Services for Youth in Custody. It was such a great feeling to have that recognition, and to know that my books were being read by the kids I was writing about.

Have you ever considered branching out into other genres? If so which other genre/s would you like to write in?

I’ve dabbled in other genres, but haven’t published anything but YA and adult suspense at this point—other than in school, when I published poetry in some school anthologies. I haven’t discounted writing in other genres.

I have also edited and annotated classics with special study material for homeschoolers and self-directed learners, and I plan to add more books to this venture in the future.

I may also publish some non-fiction in the next year or two; I have a few ideas on the back-burner at the moment.

If you answered yes to the above would you write under the same name or use a pen name for each genre? What's your take on writing in multiple genres under one name?

I would probably continue to use the name P.D. Workman for all fiction.

I have used the names Workman Classic Schoolbooks and Workman Family Classics for my work on publishing classics, and would probably use another form of my name for non-fiction. I think that each of these areas will have a different readership, and want to make it easy for readers to find similar books and not get buried in disparate books, especially considering the number of works this will eventually encompass. (I have out sixteen fiction books and eight classics thus far and that’s just the beginning.)

Why did you decide to be an independent author?

I never had any interest in sending out query letters and pursuing publishing contracts. When I started to consider publishing, I only ever really considered independent publishing.

If one of the big 5 publishers offered you a contract tomorrow would you swap indie for traditional publishing, stay as you are or try to do both?

Hybrid writers tend to do quite well. It would have to be a good contract, and I would want to retain a certain amount of control over my rights. I certainly wouldn’t be jumping into it without due consideration.

What's the biggest challenge you've faced as an indie?

I love most of independent publishing. Promotion is challenging, and what I like least is probably business accounting!

What are you working on at the moment?

I am working on books 2 and 3 of a new series. They are young adult suspense, but different from anything else that I have out yet. I intend to release all three later in the year, in quick succession.

Where can people buy your books or learn more about you?

Buy P. D. Workman's books

Amazon

Smashwords

Google Play Books

iBooks

Barnes and Noble

Scribd

Connect with P. D. Workman

Website

Goodreads


Twitter

N.B. This author interview does not constitute the endorsement of the featured writer or their work by this blog. This interview is provided as part of a free promotional opportunity for indie authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment